Tuesday, March 15, 2005

DAY THREE: The Reeker

I was busy with other things Sunday, so the only film I got to go see was the world premiere of "Reeker", one of the midnight screenings at the Drafthouse.


Reeker ***1/2
I'm not very experienced when it comes to horror movies, it's difficult to find the ones that are good. And to me, this one was extremely entertaining. It's got great humor which relieves it of its overseriousness (the kind of thing that often makes a horror movie seem cheesy). It uses quite a few of the stock horror movie devices, but it uses them effectively and sometimes in slightly different ways. The addition of a blind character makes for some great setups (wish I knew if this was a completely original an idea to horror or not). The only downside was that it was painfully obvious what the big "reveal" ending was going to be. It sets up quite a mysterious atmosphere, which makes you wonder what's behind everything, and even tries to set-up misleading clues. I predicted the ending, but I still think it was well done.

Also, the special effects and makeup are tremendous - some of the best I've ever seen in a horror film. The first two minutes of the movie packs an amazing unexpected punch, that left the audience screaming and yelling "thank you, Dave!" (the director, who was in the theatre). And pay attention to the credits at the end: they're hilarious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home